identify the problem
What could you invent, innovate, create relating to plants? Why Plants? Without plants we wouldn’t have oxygen. Plants form the critical base of food chains in nearly all ecosystems. Through photosynthesis, plants harvest the energy of the sun, providing both food and habitat for other organisms. What other ways do we use plants? Watch the video and explore this page and think about what you could create, innovate or invent related to plants. A new way to grow? Harvest? A new use? Repurpose plant waste? Be Creative!
the importance of plants
01. Life as we know it would not be possible without plants. Why are plants so important?
02. Plants supply food to nearly all land organisms, including people. We mainly eat either plants or other living things that eat plants.
03. Plants produce oxygen. Oxygen is needed by almost all the Earth’s organisms.
04. Plants absorb carbon dioxide from the air. This helps control the greenhouse effect and global warming.
05. Plants recycle matter in ecosystems. For example, they are an important part of the water cycle. They take up liquid water from the soil through their roots. They release water vapor to the air from their leaves.
06. Plants provide many products for human use. They include timber, medicines, dyes, oils, and rubber.
07. Plants provide homes for many other living things. For example, a single tree may provide food and shelter to many species of animals.
design a solution
01. Generate an idea. What could you invent, innovate or create related to plants? Could it be a new way of farming? A new way to use plants? Repurpose plant waste?
02. Design and build a prototype. Build your creation! Remember – It’s ok if it is not a working prototype, the prototype(s) allow you to share your concept and better tell your story. Get creative!
03. Share your idea. Film a short (Max 2 min video) pitch of your invention. Include details like who is it for, what problem does it solve, etc. Have fun! Upload/share your video to twitter, facebook or Instagram. Don't forget to tag us!